RAF Banner with Crest.

512 Squadron

512 SQUADRON

Motto:

"Pegasus militans" ("Pegasus at war")

Badge:

In front of a horse's head couped, a sword erect, the point upwards.

History of 512 Squadron:

No.512 Squadron was formed at Hendon on 18 June 1943, as a transport unit equipped with Dakotas. Flights to Gibraltar and North Africa were carried out until February 1944, when the squadron began training with airbourne forces. For some weeks prior to D-Day, unarmed Dakotas carried out leaflet-dropping flights over France and on the day of the landings thirty-two aircraft were despatched with paratroops before dawn, followed during the day by seventeen more towing gliders. Casualty evacuation flights from France and on the day of the landings thirty-two aircraft were despatched with paratroops before dawn, followed during the day by seventeen more towing gliders. Casualty evacuation flights from France began soon afterwards and continued for the rest of the war, interspersed with general transport duties. During the Arnhem landings, forty-six gliders were towed into the landing zone in the initial two days, followed by twenty-nine resupply missions for the loss of three Dakotas. During the crossing of the Rhine in March 1945, twenty-four aircraft of No.512 towed gliders, losing one in the process. After flying services to the Middle East, the squadron moved to Egypt, and in December to Italy, operating routes to various points in the Balkans. On 23 February 1946, No.512'S aircraft began moving back to the UK, and it disbanded on 14 March 1946.

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest