We strive for higher things
RAF College Cranwell is a thriving RAF Station in the heart of Lincolnshire with a long and distinguished history dating back to its foundations as a Royal Navy Training Establishment in 1916. It was the world’s first Air Academy and today, it continues to select and train the next generation of officers and aircrew. It is also home to No 3 Flying Training School which delivers the elementary flying training for fixed wing and multiengine student pilots from the RAF, Royal Navy and Army Air Corps, No 6 Flying Training School which oversees all University Air Squadrons in universities across the UK and the Tedder Leadership Academy.
RAF College Cranwell is also home to a broad range of Supported Force Elements including RAF Recruitment and Selection, Headquarters Air Cadets, Central Flying School, The Air Warfare School and the Band of the RAF College.
Air Commodore Peter Squires joined the RAF as a pilot in 1989 following a bursary at Southampton University studying Aeronautics & Astronautics. His flying career has been predominantly on the Harrier as a Qualified Weapons Instructor, although he latterly commanded 100 Squadron flying Hawks in the Aggressor and Close Air Support roles.
Following various staff tours and operational deployments, including commanding the Expeditionary Air Wing during Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR during the Libyan crisis in 2011, he completed a period of study at the Royal College of Defence Studies. In August 2016 Air Commodore Squires assumed command of RAF College Cranwell.
RAF College Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 8HB.
Sir Hugh Trenchard (first Chief of the Air Staff) established the RAF College at RAF Cranwell on 5 February 1920. This assisted with the consolidation of the RAF’s position as a single and independent Service.
The foundation stone was laid on 29 April 1929 by Lady Maud Hoare, wife of Secretary of State for Air.
Sir Frank Whittle became a Flight Cadet in 1926 and TE Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) was stationed at Cranwell from 1925 to 1926 as Aircraftman Second Class TE Shaw.
During the 1930s the College Hall Officers' Mess was completed (1933) and College Hall was opened in 1934 by the then Prince of Wales, Prince Edward. Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader was also a Flight Cadet at Cranwell during the 1930s.
During World War Two, Hermann Goering ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb the College as he wanted it as his headquarters when Germany won the War.
In the 1950s the peal of bells were added to College Hall. The bells were given by Shell Petroleum Company and play the retreat each evening as the ensign is lowered, in honour of the 477 former Cadets who were killed in action during World War Two.
Many types of training aircraft operated at Cranwell over the years including the SE8, Tiger Moth, Gladiator, Bull Dog and DH Chipmunk.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.