RAF Linton-on-Ouse

Crest for RAF Linton-on-Ouse


RAF Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire is one of the busiest airfields in the country, training tomorrow’s fast jet pilots for the RAF, Royal Navy, and Foreign and Commonwealth students in preparation for advanced training on the Hawk at RAF Valley.

Just under 300 service personnel work at RAF Linton-on-Ouse, and military personnel from the Station are currently deployed to support operations in the Falklands.


Portrait image of station commander, Group Captain Keith Taylor ADC MA BEng (Hons) RAF

Group Captain Keith Taylor ADC MA BEng (Hons) RAF

Group Captain Taylor took command of RAF Linton-on-Ouse on 17th October 2016.

Before that he spent two years in the Falkland Islands as Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands. He previously commanded 617 Squardron, a frontline Tornado GR4 Squadron based at Lossiemouth in Scotland. The Squadron is commonly known as the ‘Dambusters’ for its actions during Operation CHASTISE against the Germans in World War Two.


RAF Linton-on-Ouse, York, YO30 2AJ.

Council: Hambleton District Council

Who's based here

  • 72 Squadron
  • Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron


  • 1937 to 1940 - Home to Headquarters No 4 (Bomber) Group.
  • 1943 - Transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force.
  • 1945 - Handed back to the RAF.
  • 1957 - Transferred to Flying Training Command.


From June 1937 until April 1940, the Station was also home to Headquarters No 4 (Bomber) Group, which controlled the bomber stations in Yorkshire.

On the night of 3/4 September 1939, ten Whitley aircraft of Nos 51 and 58 Squadrons were dispatched to drop propaganda leaflets over Germany, becoming the first RAF aircraft to operate over Germany at night during World War Two.

The first successful bombing raid by aircraft from Linton-on-Ouse was on Aalborg aerodrome in Denmark, which was bombed by two aircraft on 23/24 April 1940, while the first bombing raid by Linton aircraft on a target in Germany took place on 11/12 May 1940.

In June 1943, Linton-on-Ouse was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force as part of No 6 Group of Bomber Command and became the home of Nos 408 and 426 Squadrons, Royal Canadian Air Force. 

In October 1945 Linton-on-Ouse was handed back to the RAF. On 1 September 1957, the Station was transferred to Flying Training Command in preparation for the arrival of No 1 Flying Training School (FTS) in late October.

The Jet Provost was retired during 1993, being replaced by the turbo-prop tandem-seat Tucano from 1995.

No 76 (Reserve) Squadron was disbanded in May 2011, and No 207 (Reserve) Squadron was disbanded in January 2012.

In addition to the airfield at Linton-on-Ouse, No 1 Flying Training School operates relief landing grounds at Topcliffe.

Connect with RAF Linton-on-Ouse

Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.