An armed man is not attacked
The location of the base in relation to Ermine Street is significant. The history of the use of the historic route through the north of Lincolnshire for Pilot Training purposes in WWI is well documented, and the views along the road to Lincoln Cathedral traditionally assisted pilots returning to base to locate the airfield. The topography of the station in relation to the road has been immortalised in the Station badge, in which the Longbow bowstring represents Ermine Street bent to accommodate the lengthened runway, and the arrow representing the runway itself.
RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire plays an important role in the protection of UK airspace as the home of No 1 Air Control Centre.
It is also home to the Mobile Meteorological Unit and to the world famous Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows).
600 personnel work at RAF Scampton, including Service personnel, contractors and civil servants.
Wing Commander Campbell took charge at RAF Scampton in April 2016. Prior to this she was Chief of Staff Support at the Air Warfare Centre at RAF Waddington.
Wing Commander Campbell is also a Chief of the Air Staff Fellow, and currently undertaking a part time PhD with King's College London.
RAF Scampton, Lincoln, LN1 2ST.
On 13 October 1916, Air Station Brattleby Cliff opened as a Home Defence Flight unit prior to being renamed RAF Scampton in 1918, making the Station one the RAF's oldest.
After a short hiatus the Station became home to 617 Squadron (known as the 'Dambusters') from where they flew their most famous mission - Operation CHASTISE.
Post war RAF Scampton was the home of the Vulcan bomber.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.