Employment Information

Employment Advice

Jobcentre Plus
Jobcentre Plus is part of the Department for Work and Pensions and offers a number of programmes and services providing help with employment, benefits, loans and grants. Many Jobcentre Plus regions have an Armed Forces Champion with the role of providing a strategic link between Jobcentre Plus and the Armed Forces Community. They are the main point of contact for the Armed Forces to tackle issues or problems relating to employment and work related benefits, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance. Jobseekers Direct is an online job search facility provided by Jobcentre Plus.

Your local Jobcentre Plus can also offer advice on:

  • Jobsearch Support for example; CV preparation, interview techniques.
  • Work trials – This may be available to show employers that you are the right person for the job.
  • Access to Work - helps people with disabilities overcome obstacles to work http://www.gov.uk/browse/disabilities/work
  • Funding – which may be available for travel and childcare costs, tools and equipment.

The Jobcentre Plus for the local areas are:

  • Telford Jobcentre Plus, Telford House, Southwater Way, Telford. TF3 4DP 0845 604 3719
  • Wolverhampton Molineux House Jobcentre Plus, Temple Street, Wolverhampton. WV2 4AU 0845 604 3719

Next Step

    Next Step is a publicly funded service providing advice on career planning, getting a job, development through learning and CVs.

    • Next Step – Tel: 0800 100900

    Armed Forces Job Centre Plus Champions (AFJCPCs)

    The main role of the champions is to be a key strategic link between Jobcentre Plus and the Armed Forces Community.

    • Ensuring that Jobcentre Plus staff are providing the correct advice and support to members of the Armed Forces Community.
    • Picking up on problems encountered by Service Families seeking work in their geographic area of responsibility and taking positive action to raise awareness of the Armed Forces Community and how they can offer valuable skills and experience to local employers.
    • If you encounter a particular problem with accessing employment, your HIVE Information Officer can flag up your employment concern, through the Stn POC to the District AFJCPC.

    For Forces Personnel and Dependants

    Civvy Street - Employment and Career Guidance for Forces Personnel and Dependants.

    Civvy Street is a Royal British Legion Sponsored website for serving and ex-Service Personnel and their families, providing a single gateway to services and support for resettlement, learning and work. The website assists Service Leavers and members of the ex-Service community and their dependants with information, advice and guidance (IAG) provided by partner organisations who are qualified in providing specialist services. Registering with Civvy Street gives access to a range of services and support to help with the civilian labour market. These include:

    • e-learning skills course
    • help with finding vocational training/ education courses and opportunities for funding
    • online job finding and employer matching service
    • e-guidance service with access to a range of specialist advisers(this service can also be accessed via the helpline service)

    For more information go to: http://www.civvystreet.org or call 0800 169 4073

    Career Transition Partnership (CTP)
    The Career Transition Partnership is a partnering agreement between the Ministry of Defence and Right Management, global career development and outplacement specialists. It provides advice and information for personnel who are leaving or have already left the Armed Forces.

    Home Working
    The use of Service Families Accommodation (SFA) for a business or commercial activity e.g. Internet and home working, mail order catalogue, cosmetic representative, registered child minding etc is not generally prohibited but prior written permission must be sought from the CarillionAmey/Housing Provider.

    Local Employment

    Employment on RAF Cosford

    • ISS – (Starbucks, Bars, Messes, Cleaners etc.) 01902 375669

    Resettlement Centres
    Regional Resettlement Centres exist to help Service personnel into civilian employment; they hold many resources which are useful to the job hunter. These resources may also be made available to the dependant of the Service Leaver, speak to staff at the local Resettlement Centre for further details.

    • Contact details of the local Resettlement Centre are : Contact details of the local Resettlement Centre are : RRC Cottesmore, Dolby Block, RAF Cottesmore, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 7BL Tel: 01572 812241 ext 7716 or Mil: 95341 7116

    Employment Agencies

    Local Job Paper

    There is an Employment Noticeboard sited in the Community Hub and if there are any local jobs they are on display.

    Additional Information

    Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    JSA is the main benefit for people who are out of work. If you are eligible it is paid when you don't have a job and are looking for work. There are 2 types of JSA:

    • The first is based on how much National Insurance you have paid in the last 2 tax years. It is called 'contribution-based JSA'.
    • The second is based on your income and savings. This is called 'income-based JSA'.

    For more information on eligibility please go to: www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility or call 0800 055 6688 (0800 to 1800 hrs Mon to Fri).

    Universal Credit will eventually replace JSA as well as five other benefits -it will be introduced to different areas of the country in stages.

    All claims should be made online at https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

    National Insurance Number
    If you wish to seek work but do not have a National Insurance number, then you will need to telephone 0845 600 0643. They will fill in an application form with you over the telephone and arrange an interview at your Jobcentre Plus office.

    You will need to take a passport or ID card and proof of your address to the interview and you will also need to show that you are actively looking for work. You will then be given a number so you can start work.

    If you have already started work without a NI number, then you can apply for one in the same manner and provide a letter from your employer to state you have started work.

    Tax and National Insurance Enquiries

    Organisations that Help Military Spouses find Work/Training

    Popular Employment Websites / Links

      Your HIVE may hold copies of employment magazines e.g.: Civvy Street, Equipped, Pathfinder and Quest.

      Internet – If you do not have access to the internet you can use a UK online centre or library for free. Find your nearest centre: www.ukonlinecentres.com or 0800 77 1234.

      Alternatively RAF HIVE has free internet access and a laptop available.

      If you require further information please contact your HIVE Information Centre.


      Text size: