Small LF Logo

Flying Training

Flying Training:

CAT Points with the Open University

The RAF's Flying Training Programme currently allows Credit Accumulation Transfer (CAT) points to be attained as personnel progress through training. These CAT points can be banked towards courses at the Open University. Further information course accreditation and the transfer of credits can be found at the Open University RAF information page.

Foundation Degree for Non-Commissioned Aircrew

NCA personnel are provided the opportunity to gain a [link not available] in Applied Aviation Studies through Staffordshire University. This FDSc can be used for Accelerated Incremental Progression, and as a launching point to a BSc in Applied Aviation Studies.

Enhanced Learning Credits for Flying Licenses

It is recognised that RAF personnel benefit from the additional air-mindedness and air awareness that a Private Pilot's License (PPL) affords. RAF personnel may now use ELCs to access components of the PPL/NPPL. However, current rules do not allow individuals to use ELCs and SLCs for the PPL.

Subject to specific eligibility, ELC support may be used in some cases for Instructor Ratings and ATPL qualifications. Military intranet users should consult AP 3379 Leaflet 2511 for policy guidance, or seek further information from their local Personal Learning Advisor (PLA). The Learning Forces site provides more general information on ELC use.

Accreditation towards CAA licensing

Qualified Service Pilots (QSPs) benefit from appropriate award of flying credits by the Civilian Aviation Authority (CAA) for undertaking recognised flying training and/or being in current flying practice. Military intranet users should consult RAF Internal Briefing Note 16/01 for background information to this scheme.

The CAA website may be accessed for further general information, although full details are published in the CAA's Licensing, CAP 804.

RAF Civil Airlines Recruiting Scheme

While the RAF is keen for its pilots to complete a full career within the service, it is recognised that many pilots may wish to pursue a second career in Civil Aviation. Some consider leaving the Service early in order to do so, which introduces manning difficulties and generates additional costs in training replacements.

An MOD scheme has been established with airline and aviation related companies. It provides targeted assistance in entering the civil sector, which eases the transition process and encourages a longer Service flying career for RAF pilots. All service pilots, of 32 years of age or above, who are serving on a Permanent Commission (or equivalent), are eligible to register with the scheme. Military intranet users should access GAI 1028 through the RAF Publications Library for complete details and application form. Applications should be forwarded to

Text size: