Small LF Logo

Further and Higher Education

Courses at Further Education (FE) and Higher Education (HE) Colleges

You will be able to find out more about what is on offer at your local college by visiting your local Training/Learning Centre. Your local Resettlement and Education Co-ordinator (REC) will have copies of the college prospectus and be able to offer advice on enrolment dates. Most conventional courses run from Sep/Oct through to the following May/Jun, but many colleges now run flexible courses on an open learning basis and you can start them at any time.

If you decide to follow a course that leads to a nationally recognised qualification you will be able to claim your Standard Learning Credit. If you wish to make a claim, however, you must register your intention to study on MOD F1950 available from your local REC. Your line manager must agree to you undertaking a course of study and you must also provide proof of payment. You will also be able to claim assistance with some travel costs; your REC will have all the details.

Finally, if you are unable to find a course to meet your needs exactly, it may be worth trying to speak to the college. Learning is much more flexible than it used to be and with the introduction of Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL), you may be able to negotiate the perfect learning package for you. If you wish to know more you should contact the PLA at your unit or Sqn Ldr Learning Forces/Flt Lt Learning Forces on High Wycombe Ext 6551/5603.

Useful Further and Higher Education Websites:

National Institute of Adult Continuing Education

Universities & Colleges Admission Service

A detailed Website on Welsh Colleges

British Coucil Education

National database of Accredited Qualifications

Qualifications explained

Higher education at British Universities and Colleges

UK universities and colleges offering higher education courses in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
DIUS – Recognised UK Degrees

Text size: