2 Squadron History

RAF Marham 1945 - 1946

RAF Marham 1945-1946
In January 1946, after the runway was completed, a flight of Lancasters from the Bomber Development Unit arrived from Feltwell to be integrated with the Central Bombing Establishment (CBE). Radar equipment also arrived from Feltwell including: Gee, Oboe, Rebecca, a portable transmitter for Rebecca as well as the standard ground station in an Austin van. Mr Johnston was put in charge of the Gee and Rebecca units. Lincoln bombers were gradually added to the strength of the CBE which also included a number of Mosquitos, while the Comms Flight used Anson C12 and Proctor aircraft coded in the XE range.

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest