What qualifications do I need for engineering roles?
TO APPLY FOR AN ENGINEER OFFICER ROLE YOU NEED TO:
- Be aged between 21 and 47
- Have a Bachelors or Masters degree in a subject relevant to the role you are applying for (i.e. Aeronautical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science* etc)
- Have a GCSE at grade C/4-5 or above; or SNE equivalent grade 5 or above in English Language
- Be a UK, UK/Dual Nationality or Republic of Ireland citizen or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth
TO APPLY FOR AN ENGINEER TECHNICIAN ROLE YOU NEED TO:
- Be aged between 16 and 47
- Have GCSEs at Grade C/4-5 or above; or SNE equivalent grade 5 or above in English Language, Mathematics and should have an approved science/technology-based subject
- Be a UK or Republic of Ireland citizen or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth
* GCSE science is not required for Survival Equipment Specialist and Communications Infrastructure Technician roles and is only a preference for Cyberspace Communications Specialist.
** Communications Infrastructure Technician, Cyberspace Communications Specialist and Aircraft Technician (Avionics) will only accept applicants with UK, UK/Dual citizenship.
Do engineers need to be physically fit?
- Yes, every person in the RAF is required to maintain a level of fitness in order to do their role well. If you’re a Cyberspace Communication Specialist you might be required to be deployed to set up initial communications in an area and carry equipment. Similarly, if you’re an Aircraft Technician you may be required in your role to prep a Typhoon about to scramble to defend UK airspace from a hostile aircraft.
- Fitness is a key part of RAF life – with all the clubs and sports you can get involved with on a wide variety of levels, from occasional fun to Olympic competition.
How long is the application process?
- As an Engineer Officer we aim to have all applications successfully completed within six months and for an Engineer Technician we aim to have all applications successfully completed within three months. This is subject to the availability of your specific training courses but be assured that we will aim to work around your specific needs.
Where will I be based?
- We have Engineering bases all over the UK and abroad. Where you will be exactly is dependent on your role and what each base currently requires. Speak with your local AFCO for more information.