As an RAF Regiment Gunner, you will be responsible for the force protection of RAF air assets; this means the planes, the personnel and the air base itself.
As a Gunner, you’ll receive specialist training in infantry tactics and weapons, from pistols, rifles and light machine guns, to mortars, anti-tank missiles and heavy machine guns. As the RAF Regiment need to operate 24 hours a day in any weather, you’ll become skilled in the use of the latest night-vision aids and other surveillance equipment. Gunners need to be able to drive a variety of vehicles, quad bikes and motorbikes – so if you don’t have a driving licence you’ll earn one in training.
As a Gunner, you could specialise in some of the RAF Regiment’s other roles:
- Become a paratrooper serving on 2 Squadron RAF Regiment or other parachute-capable units.
- Serve on the Queen’s Colour Squadron, carrying out ceremonial duties including guarding Buckingham Palace as well as your normal operational role.
- Become a sniper – an expert in camouflage and marksmanship.
- Train as a member of a Forward Air Control team, calling in strike aircraft and helicopters in support of ground troops.
- Work in support of Special Forces operations.
- Work as part of a small team to recover downed aircrew or other key personnel.