The following elections (some deferred from 2020) will be taking place on Thursday 6 May 2021:
- Parliamentary elections in Scotland
- National Assembly elections in Wales
- Local authority and Mayoral elections in some areas of England and Wales
- Police Commissioner elections in some areas of England and Wales
- Local government principal area elections (i.e. district, borough, county borough, and unitary authority elections)
- Parish council elections
Details of exactly which elections are taking place in your area will be available from:
Registration deadlines. You are encouraged to register to vote as early as possible, particularly if you are also applying for a postal vote. This will maximise the time available to resolve any issues with your application, and for your postal ballot to reach you and be returned in time for counting. Registration deadlines are different for different elections. The following deadlines apply:
- Deadline to register to vote – Tuesday 20 April.
- Deadline to apply to vote by post – 5pm, Wednesday 21 April.
- Deadline to apply to vote by postal proxy – 5pm, Wednesday 21 April.
- Deadline to apply to vote by proxy – 5pm, Wednesday 28 April.
In addition to the 2021 election timelines detailed in paragraph 8, above, British Forces Post Office (BFPO) have issued a number of additional deadlines and key dates which take into consideration the logistic realities of Ballot Paper distribution across the globe. Personnel serving overseas who have elected to postal vote are advised to note the following timings:
- Earliest date Ballot Papers are anticipated to arrive at BFPO from Electoral Registration Officers for onward distribution overseas – Tuesday 13 April.
- Target date for latest delivery of Ballot Papers to individuals – Wednesday 21 April.
- Latest recommended posting date for Ballot Papers from a BFPO - Friday 30 April.
- Latest recommended posting date for Ballot Papers to be returned and in the UK postal system – Tuesday 4 May.