Nulla Rosa Sine Spina 'No rose without a thorn'
The badge commemorates the squadron's association with Yorkshire as the South Yorkshire Auxiliary Squadron.
Provide an expansion of ISTAR and Combat Air Support at RAF Waddington and the wider RAF. The
Squadron is fundamentally different to the General Service Squadron model in that it only recruits ex-Regular
personnel to provide immediate employment in capability areas of high demand and short supply.
Recruitment covers a wide range of capability areas including aircrew. In all cases, suitably qualified and
experienced personnel are recruited to gain the maximum benefit from their knowledge, skills and
1st November 1938 - No 616 Squadron was formed at Doncaster as the last Squadron of the Auxiliary Air Force.
19th August 1940 - 616 Squadron joined the Battle of Britain in the south of England with 73 Squadron as part of
11 Group flying from Kenley.
February 1941 - The squadron returned to the front line as part of the Tangmere wing (led by Wg Cdr Douglas
Barder), receiving the improved Spitfire Mk II, conducting sweeps over occupied France from April until
12th July 1944 - 616 Squadron became the first Allied unit to be declared operational with Jet aircraft.
29th Aug 1945 - The Squadron was disbanded although the effect was not felt for a while as they were simply
renumbered as 263 Squadron.
10th May 1946 - 616 Squadron was reformed at RAF Finningley near Doncaster on as
part of the Auxiliary Air Force. They were designated as a night fighter squadron and received Mosquito NF
30's only for it to be redesignated a day fighter unit in 1948 with a further change of platform to the newer
Meteor F3 with Rolls Royce Derwent Engines.
10th March 1957 - 616 Squadron was disbanded with the abolition of the Auxiliary Air Force.
1st April 2019 - The Squadron has reformed at RAF Waddington and is made up entirely of Part-Time Volunteer Reservists recruited to support high demand employment fields.