To see into the future
A sun in splendour divided per bend by a flash of lightning - approved by HRH King Edward VIII in May 1936. The red and black segmented sun suggests round-the-clock operations, while the lightning flash is a reference to the unit's early use of wireless telephony for artillery co-operation.
- Based at RAF Valley, in Anglesey, home to mountain and maritime aircrew training
- Provided aerial reconnaissance imagery for the D-Day landings
- Aircraft flown have included Spitfire XI, Hunter F4, and the Harrier GR7
- Delivers training to the first ab-initio F-35 Lightning pilots
1912 - Formed at Farnborough as part of the Royal Flying Corps.
1915 - Commanded by Charles Longcroft, who went on to become the first Commandant of the RAF College.
1943 - Became part of the Second Tactical Air Force beginning 55 years of Service on the continent in reconnaissance and ground attack roles.
1982 - Flew Harriers from RAF Stanley after the Falklands War.
2010 - IV Squadron stood down as a Harrier Squadron but was re-activated at RAF Valley in its present role the same year.