RAF Syerston

Badge for RAF Syerston

THE STATION

RAF Syerston is home to 2 Flying Training School (2 FTS) and houses both the headquarters and the RAF Central Gliding School, which provides formal training courses for members of the Volunteer Gliding Squadrons (VGS) located at various other locations around the UK.

RAF Syerston has three satellite airfields at Kenley, Kirknewton and RAF Little Rissington from which it operates the Viking T Mk 1 glider.

Commander

Portrait of Group Captain John Middleton OBE BA RAFR

Group Captain John Middleton OBE BA RAFR

ADDRESS

RAF Syerston, Newark, NG23 5NN.

Who's based here

Where we parent

KEY DATES

  • 1940 - Station opened
  • 1943 - Station used for training bomber crews
  • 1945 - Handed to Transport Command
  • 1955 - 22 Flying Training School became 2 Flying Training School
  • 1975 - Central Gliding School moved to the Station
  • 2014 - 2 Flying Training School reformed at RAF Syerston

HISTORY

RAF Syerston initially opened as a Bomber Command station in 1940 operating Wellington, Manchester and Lancaster bombers. Post-war Syerston became a training base, eventually transferring to Flying Training Command and 2 Flying Training School operating Jet Provosts. 

Syerston was put on under care and maintenance from 1971 until it reopened in January 1975 for light aircraft and gliding operations. Syerston is currently a station in its own right, having previously been a satellite airfield of RAF College Cranwell.

Since January 2014, RAF Syerston has been the home to 2 FTS HQ, the RAF Central Gliding School (CGS) and 644 Volunteer Gliding Squadron.  The Central Flying School (CFS) (Gliding Examiners) also maintains an examining unit at the Station.
 

 

Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.