Service Families Accommodation

Service Families Accommodation (SFA) and Single Living Accommodation (SLA) is available to all RAF personnel subject to entitlement regulations.

SFA is administered by Amey, who are contracted by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO).

Accommodation charges

Download the latest SFA, SLA and Food Charges 2019/2020 [PDF].

Full guidance on Service Families Accommodation on GOV.UK

For the latest and detailed guidance please go to Service Families Accommodation on GOV.UK.

Entitlement to Service Families Accommodation for RAF personnel

Entitlement criteria are listed on GOV.UK: Entitlement for Service Families Accommodation.

The grading system for SFA, known as the Combined Accommodation Assessment System (CAAS) [opens GOV.UK], went live 1 April 2016 and is based on factors such as property location.

Serving personnel can access more info on the Combined Accommodation Assessment System on the DIO Intranet site (internal use only).

The type of Service Families Accommodation is typically allocated based on rank.

Download the guidance on Service Families Accommodation entitlement and eligibility [PDF] taken from the Tri-Service Accommodation Regulations.

If Service Families Accommodation is not available within a reasonable timescale, a family may be allocated Substitute Service Families Accommodation [opens GOV.UK]. This is a privately rented property for which the Service person will pay normal SFA rent.

Applying for Service Families Accommodation

If you eligible, you can apply for Service Families Accommodation.

Please visit the GOV.UK guidance on applying for Serving Families Accomodation to learn:

  • the process for applying and allocation
  • where and how to make an online application or download forms
  • what happens if SFA is not available where you are moving to

Housing maintenance and repairs

For Service Families Accommodation

Amey is responsible for the maintenance of Service Families Accommodation in the UK.

Phone: 0800 707 6000 (Option 1), 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Alternative phone: 0151 728 1630


For Substitute Service Families Accommodation

Mears Group Limited is responsible for the maintenance of substitute properties.

Phone: 0800 032 4547, 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).


For emergency repairs outside office hours (including weekends and bank holidays) phone the Mears Emergency Contact Centre on 0800 032 4547.

Housing enquiries

For all other Service Families Accommodation enquiries:

Phone: 0800 707 6000 (Option 3), 8:30am to 3pm, Monday to Friday.


Or visit Amey’s Contact Us page.

Living in civilian accommodation

Many of our single and married personnel choose to buy their own property or rent privately and there is help available for both.

Forces Help to Buy Scheme 

Regular armed forces personnel can benefit from a £200 million scheme to help them get on the property ladder.

The scheme enables servicemen and servicewomen to borrow up to 50% of their salary, interest free, to buy their first home or move to another property on assignment or as family needs change.

Full details on the Forces Help to Buy Scheme are on GOV.UK.

Tenancy deposit scheme

If a service person wants to rent privately, he/she may request an advance of pay to meet the cost of a tenancy deposit in the UK.

The advance of pay just needs to be registered with the Deposit Protection Service, MyDeposits or the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and can be repaid over 12 months. Please see your Unit HR for details.

Joint Services Housing Advice Office

The MOD's Joint Services Housing Advice Office provides service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career, and for those during resettlement to assist with the transition to civilian life.

The Office deliver excellent Civilian Housing Briefs for personnel considering their options to get on the housing ladder, enter the private rental market, or looking at social housing.

Find upcoming Civilian Housing Briefs on GOV.UK.

TV Licenses 

Personnel living in either Service Families Accommodation or Single Living Accommodation require a TV Licence to to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

Full details about TV Licenses for the armed forces on the TV Licensing site.

Future Accommodation Model

The Ministry of Defence is looking at how to improve the accommodation offer for service personnel, to make it fairer and more flexible, whilst keeping it affordable.

In October 2017, the MOD decided to pilot a new way of providing living accommodation to personnel and their families. The pilot will test:

  • personnel being supported to rent a home in the private market, alongside existing options of SLA and SFA
  • a widened entitlement beyond those who are married or in civil partnerships

More details on the Future Accommodation Model on GOV.UK.