This is a new site. Found a problem?
This is a new website. We are continuing to add/refine content.
Found a problem? Let us know!
A British Army barracks in Scotland home to several RAF units. Leuchars Station passed from the RAF to the British Army in 2015 and is home to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, the Royal Engineers, Military police units, and also ESUAS and 612 (R) Squadron.
Main St, Leuchars, St Andrews KY16 0JX
Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) maintains and repairs equipment to keep aircraft, tanks and weapons in fighting order.
The Royal Engineers provide large scale engineering and construction solutions to the British Army.
The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards are Scotland’s most senior and only regular cavalry regiment, formed in 1678. The Regiment has recently re-rolled to Light Cavalry after 75 years in tanks and has also moved from Germany to Fife.
Aviation at Leuchars dates back to 1911 with a balloon squadron of the Royal Engineers. Heavier than air craft moved in to the site soon afterwards and it was used as a training airfield through the First World War. A Coastal Command station during the Second World War, in 1943 BOAC used the airfield to set up a covert air link to neutral Sweden, rescuing RAF crews who had been shot down and interred as well as importing Swedish goods for the war effort.
Leuchars became a fighter station in 1950 hosting a variety of jet air defence aircraft, belonging both to the RAF and the Royal Navy, due to its coastal location. It remained an air defence airfield through the Cold War and up to 2015 where it was handed over to the British Army.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.