This is a new site. Found a problem?
Got feedback to help us improve our website?
The Peninsula is Always Ready
RAF Akrotiri is home of the Cyprus Operations Support Unit which provides joint support to British Forces Cyprus and operations in the region to protect the UK's strategic interests.
RAF Akrotiri is an extremely busy Permanent Joint Operating Base that supports ongoing operations in the region as well as support for the Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus. It is used as a forward mounting base for overseas operations in the Middle East and for fast jet training.
RAF Akrotiri’s Griffin helicopters also play an important search and rescue function in collaboration with the Republic of Cyprus Police and National Guard Air Command.
Details on flights to and from RAF Akrotiri can be found in Passenger Information
Emergency details for the public on RAF Akrotiri can be found in Emergency Public Information
Group Captain Snaith took over as Chief of Combat Operations in the UK JFAC in March 2015. He was promoted to Group Captain in October 2016 and posted to Saudi Arabia as the Chief of the Air Staff’s Liaison Officer to the Royal Saudi Air Force.
He was subsequently selected to be Station Commander, RAF Akrotiri, assuming command in July 2018.
RAF Akrotiri, Akrotiri, BFPO 57, Cyprus.
Postal address: Station Commander, RAF Akrotiri, BFPO 57 (British Forces Post Office).
Phone: 00357 25276788
Monday 7.30PM to 9.30PM
How to book/ join
Contact the Band OIC
New RAF Akrotiri Station Commander speaks about his delight at taking up the new posting and the challenges facing him over the next two years.
Men and women serving in the Army and the RAF had the opportunity to put questions to the Deputy Commander of the Field Army at a forum at RAF Akrotiri.
The winners of the annual RAF Photographic Competition were announced recently and there was cause for celebration for one of British Forces Cyprus’ own photographers.
RAF Akrotiri began on 1st July 1955 when the first 30 personnel posted to the ‘Unit’ established themselves in the flat, dry, rocky scrubland on the windswept Akrotiri Peninsula.
Nicosia Airport was temporarily closed as a result of terrorist activity and the handling of the Island’s civil aviation was diverted to Akrotiri with a tented ‘civil airport reception centre' to match. An RAF Regiment Light Anti-Aircraft Wing was also brought in.
By the end of August 1956, Station strength had reached 260 officers and 2864 other ranks, a massive increase in 12 months. It brought with it 1430 personnel on the daily sick-parade, mainly a result of the over-crowding and insanitary conditions, as construction lagged behind the unforeseen demand for accommodation.
From its rough beginnings with caravans and mud tracks, the Station was laid out, roads made, hangars and some permanent buildings constructed.
Following the withdrawal from east of Suez, the Station peaked in the 60s and 70s; Lightning, Vulcan, Hercules, Argosy, and Canberra aircraft and Whirlwind and Wessex helicopters all operated from RAF Akrotiri as permanently-based squadrons.
By the end of the 80s only the helicopters of 84 Squadron remained and the Station began its life as a training, forward operating and forward mounting base.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.