RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall is a No 22 (Training) Group Station and home to the Headquarters of the Robson Academy of Resilience and the Defence Survive, Evade, Resist, Extract (SERE) Training Organisation (known as DSTO).
The DSTO SERE trains around 5,000 personnel a year, making the most of the Cornish coastline to challenge mental and physical resilience.
RAF St Mawgan is the hub of RAF activity in the South West and parents around 3,000 personnel throughout the region.
Wing Commander Alex Mason, a Logistics officer, took command of RAF St Mawgan in September 2016.
Before that she worked in a joint operational-level headquarters, and has previously served as Staff Officer to the Chief of the Air Staff, and commander of the Logistics squadron at RAF Brize Norton.
RAF St Mawgan, Newquay, Cornwall, TR8 4HP.
Trebelzue was commandeered as a satellite field for RAF St Eval in 1941, but transferred to Ferry Command to be an Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit. The runways proved inadequate, and new runways to the east were constructed, with the name “RAF St Mawgan” adopted on 23 February 1943.
It its first year, RAF St Mawgan despatched 1179 United States Army Air Force aircraft to North Africa, making use of the “biggest runway in the country” according to Flight Lieutenant Anthony Mortimer, Air Traffic Controller at the time.
In 1944 a new Instrument Landing System was installed by the Americans, the first of its type to be in operation in the United Kingdom, with aircraft movements up to 16110 that year. The end of the war in 1945 saw the station draw down to care and maintenance by 1947.
St Mawgan reopened in 1951 operating Lancasters as the School of Maritime Reconnaissance. Air Sea Rescue operations first took place in 1956, with Whirlwind helicopters. Lancaster operations ended in 1956, to be replaced by Shackletons and then Nimrods in 1970, the world’s first jet maritime patrol aircraft.
Nimrod operations continued until 1992, when the School of Combat Survival and Rescue moved in, now the Defence SERE Training Organisation.
The Sea King Operational Conversion Unit was formed in 1996, supporting 22 Squadron Search and Rescue HQ. A Joint Maritime Facility was opened in 1995 with the United States Navy, and No 1 Squadron RAF Regiment arrived from Laarbruch in 1999.
The Station drew down again in 2008, with the runway being sold to Cornwall County Council, becoming Cornwall Airport Newquay. Recent arrivals of No 505 Squadron (Royal Auxiliary Air Force) and Royal Military Police personnel have seen an increase in use of the site, and St Mawgan continues to parent RAF personnel across the southwest region.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.