RAF Henlow in Bedfordshire provides the support to enable lodger units to deliver global operations.
Wing Commander Andrew is a Logistics Officer who has principally operated in the Air Movements field. He joined the RAF in 1998 as a RAF Policeman, serving at RAF’s Uxbridge and Waddington and completed an OOA in Kuwait. In 2003, he was commissioned into the Supply Branch. After completing initial tours as Officer Commanding Mechanical Transport at RAF Kinloss and the Falkland Islands, he was posted to the United Kingdom Mobile Air Movements Squadron (UKMAMS) at RAF Lyneham where he was involved in Operations TELIC and HERRICK, and spent most of his two-year post deployed.
In 2008 he was posted to Defence Supply Chain Operations and Movements (DSCOM) to take the post of SO3 Operations. A tour at RAF Brize Norton as the Deputy Senior Air Movements Officer followed where he was promoted to Squadron Leader and posted to A4 Operations at HQ Air Command. In 2013 he was deployed once more to Afghanistan, where he commanded a large multi-national Movements organisation. On his return Andrew was posted to the Air Staff in MOD London. He was posted back to 1AMW as OC Operations Support Squadron in 2015. In 2016 he deployed to Kabul for 6 months as MA to DCOM NAC-A, and in 2017 he was promoted to Wing Commander and posted to Defence Logistics in MOD London. Completing Staff College in 2020, he is now appointed as Station Commander RAF Henlow. He holds a MSc in Programme and Project Management from Cranfield University and a MA in Defence Studies from Kings College London.
Wing Commander Andrew took command of RAF Henlow in 2020.
RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire, SG16 6DN.
The RAF was only six weeks old when Lieutenant Colonel Robert Francis Stapleton-Cotton and a party of 40 airmen arrived from RAF Farnborough on 10 May 1918.
The Lieutenant Colonel was to become the first CO of RAF Henlow in August 1918. Although still under construction, the Depot had achieved a limited output of Bristol Fighters and De Havilland aircraft.
In the original list of RAF Stations for April 1918, Henlow counts among only five other stations which remain open as RAF stations today: Halton, Leuchars, Northolt, Waddington and Wittering.
During the war years, RAF Henlow became one of the largest RAF Maintenance Units in the country and made an invaluable contribution to the war effort. It is a proud part of our history that RAF Henlow contributed (albeit indirectly) to the Battle of Britain, repairing Hurricanes that were damaged during the Battle.
After World War Two, a new role developed for the station, that of radio equipment calibration and signals development.
Through the years RAF Henlow has been home to the Parachute Test Unit, the Royal Air Force Technical College, the RAF Officer Cadet Training Unit (OCTU) and the Officers’ Command School & Intermediate Command & Staff Course.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.