RAF Wyton

Crest for RAF Wyton


RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire is a Joint Force Command Station and home to the Joint Force Intelligence Group and the National Centre for Geospatial Intelligence, which provide intelligence support to the Armed Forces deployed on operations around the globe.



Portrait image of station commander, Wing Commander Rachel L Dixon MA (Cantab) MA RAF

Wing Commander Rachel L Dixon MA (Cantab) MA RAF

Wing Commander Dixon took command of RAF Wyton in October 2017 after completion of the Advanced Command and Staff Course at the UK’s Joint Services Command and Staff College at Shrivenham.

Previously, she worked at the UK Joint Forces Air Component Headquarters at RAF High Wycombe.


RAF Wyton, Huntingdon, PE28 2EA.

Council: Huntingdonshire District Council

Who's based here


  • 1916 - Airfield opened as a training airfield for the Royal Flying Corps.
  • 1939 - Aircraft from RAF Wyton took part in some of the first bombing raids of the Second World War.
  • 1942 - The Pathfinder Force was formed here under Group Captain Don Bennett.
  • 1956 - Joint School of Aerial Photographic Interpretation was founded.
  • 2013 - Pathfinder building opened to house the Joint Force Intelligence Group.


The area around Wyton has been associated with aviation since 1912, a period that embraces almost the entire history of aviation.

The Airfield at Wyton first became associated with the Armed Forces in 1916, when the Royal Flying Corps began training pilots at the Station. On 1 April 1918 the Royal Air Force was formed and Wyton continued to train units for overseas operations.

The first sortie of the World War Two took off from RAF Wyton on 03 September 1939 and Wyton aircraft took part in the last Bomber Command raid on Germany in April 1945. The legendary Pathfinder Force was created on 15 August 1942 and RAF Wyton was chosen to be the Headquarters as well as one of the Flying Stations.

In August 1945 the Pathfinder Force disbanded. In 1953 the first Photographic Reconnaissance Units (PRUs) arrived; however, re-equipment soon took place with the new PR version of the Canberra. In 1971 the first Nimrod aircraft arrived. In April 1975 the last of the Victor aircraft departed. Throughout the next two decades Canberra units came and went with the final squadron, No 39 (1 PRU), leaving in November 1993.

In April 1994 Wyton ceased to be an independent unit and was merged with RAF Brampton, on 2 April 2012 RAF Wyton once again became an individual RAF Station, control of the station transferred from HQ Air Command to the newly established Joint Forces Command (JFC) and Joint Forces Intelligence Group (JFIG) continues to be based at RAF Wyton.

Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.