RAF High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire is a major administrative support Station.
It hosts and supports HQ Air Command, several Groups, and the European Air Group. It also supports the Joint Ground Based Air Defence, and Joint Force Air Component Commander.
RAF High Wycombe acts as the liaison between the RAF and United States Visiting Forces (USVF), and human resource support for Ministry of Defence civil servants working on USVF Bases in the UK.
Group Captain Woods took command of RAF High Wycombe in March 2017. Prior to this in September 2014 he assumed the role of Chief of Staff for the Defence Safety Authority, responsible for establishing the federation of Defence Safety Regulators and driving forward changes to regulatory oversight and accident investigation. Group Captain Woods was appointed OBE in the New Years’ Honours List 2010.
RAF High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14 4UF.
The origins of the RAF presence at Naphill and Walters Ash start with Wing Commander Alan Oakeshott. Born the son of an Army Major and a local town councillor, Wing Commander Oakeshott grew up in the village of Naphill before joining the RAF in 1938. He would go on to become a decorated war hero and also be credited with the idea of building a well hidden RAF High Wycombe in the beech woods of the Chiltern Hills.
In 1938, with war looming, thoughts in the Air Ministry turned to the issue of where to site Bomber Command HQ, within easy reach of the capital, but in a location that could not easily be detected from the air. Anecdotal evidence indicates that Wing Commander Oakeshott suggested that the area of beech woods near the villages of Naphill, Walters Ash and Lacey Green would be an ideal location.
In his relatively short RAF career he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) before going on to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.