About this Group
No 1 Group coordinates all of the RAF's frontline, fast-jet force elements and the Intelligence Surveillance, Targeting and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) work.
The 8,500 personnel in No 1 Group are ready to meet any emerging threats to the UK or UK interests around the globe, including:
- Protecting UK airspace 24/7 365 days a year with the Typhoon Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) aircraft
- Continued air defence of the Falkland Islands
- Exercising with NATO partners
Achieving No 1 Group's mission
The Group has to ensure the RAF stays one step ahead in an uncertain world. It does this by:
- evolving the RAF's tactics
- realistic training and exercises in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and the United States
- exploiting the RAF's equipment
The near term mission for the Lightning Force (LF) is to establish the foundations of Lightning capability by training the initial cadre of LF personnel and developing the process to generate and sustain the Force at RAF Marham. This is to bring the LF to initial operating capability.
To generate, operate and sustain effective Combat Air power in all tasked roles and environments.
To deliver battle-winning knowledge and effect to commanders at every level.
To operate the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (RAFAT), better known as the Red Arrows.