RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire is the largest RAF Station with approximately 5,800 Service Personnel, 1,200 contractors and 300 civilian staff.
The Station is home to the RAF's Strategic and Tactical Air Transport (AT) and Air-to-Air Refuelling (AAR) forces, as well as host to many lodger and reserve units.
With its mixed fleet of aircraft, RAF Brize Norton provides rapid global mobility in support of UK overseas operations and exercises, as well as AAR support for fast jet aircraft both on operations and in support of UK Homeland Defence.
Group Captain Jones joined the RAF in 1995 as a pilot and began his operational career in 1999 on No. LXX Squadron, flying the Hercules C-130K. Subsequently, he transferred to the new C-130J, serving first on No. XXIV Squadron and then No. 30 Squadron.
In 2011, during Operation ELLAMY, he commanded No. XXIV Squadron at the same time that the C-130 Force moved from RAF Lyneham to RAF Brize Norton. Group Captain Jones took command of RAF Brize Norton in July 2016.
RAF Brize Norton, Carterton, Oxfordshire, OX18 3LX.
Personnel are using their expertise to assist at this week’s Big Bang Fair at the National Exhibition Centre as part of British Science Week.
Three RAF Brize Norton apprentices win at the RAF’s eighth Apprentice of the Year Awards.
Construction of the airfield at the Brize Norton site began in 1935 and the official opening took place on 13 August 1937. Number 2 Flying Training School was the first unit to be stationed here, arriving on 7 September 1937.
In July 1942, the Station became the home of the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit, later renamed No 21 HGCU, which remained at RAF Brize Norton until 31 December 1945.
Between March and October 1944, the Station was used as a base for parachute and glider operations by Nos 296 and 297 Squadrons, both equipped with Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle aircraft; both Squadrons were involved in D-Day operations, and the airborne landings at Arnhem.
Flying Training Command returned to the Station with No 204 AFTS in August 1949, but their stay was only to be a short one and they left in June 1950 when the first Americans began to arrive.
The USAF formally accepted control of RAF Brize Norton on 16 April 1951, eventually basing B-36 Convair Peacemaker bombers then B-47 Stratojets at a later date. Later, on 1 April 1965 the Royal Air Force took back control of the Station.
Various iconic aircraft have been based at RAF Brize Norton, including, Airspeed Oxford, Harvard, Whitley, Albermarle, Horsa Glider, Britannia, VC-10, Belfast, Argosy, Andover, Tri-Star, Globemaster III, Hercules, Voyager and Atlas.
RAF Brize Norton has been involved in many operations including Operations CORPORATE (1982), GRANBY (1990), TELIC (2003-11), HERRICK (2001-14), SHADER (2014) and RUMAN (2017).
Using Internet Explorer 8? Please switch to using Chrome if you can.